Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

My first successful white sauce

Any sauce recipe that involves starting out with melted butter and flour has always been problematic for me. I'm not sure why, though the last time I tried it while making a sauce for a pot pie recipe, I was rather disappointed in the results. I recall it being bland and definitely not as creamy as I would have liked. My sister claimed it was pretty good in the tofu pot pie I made her... though I reckon that's because the tofu absorbed a lot of the liquid! I don't know why today's lunch should have been any different... possibly it was in the way I cooked it? Didn't follow a recipe; I totally winged it.

I started with melted butter and flour, and milk. I added a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, hot sauce, onion and jalapenos, and wound up with a thick, creamy, cheesy sauce with a nice amount of kick to it (I also added a liberal amount of ground cayenne). Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment