Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

I dropped my leash

We worked Find Heel again after dinner, to take advantage of the kids who play out in the street for a distraction. Because I'm using treats & toys for this exercise, I had been working with the leash clipped to my belt loop with a carabiner. Today I tried moving the leash to my hand, only to find it difficult to juggle (since I use my left hand to give treats). Not to mention, all of the slack hanging down was tripping Lotte up when she was in heel position, and causing her to divert her attention to her feet, so that she wouldn't, you know, trip. This won't be a problem in the future, as I plan to switch over exclusively to toy rewards (which I can easily pull from pockets with my right hand as needed) when we get to the point of putting things together and starting straight-line heeling. That'll leave my left hand free to hold my leash and it's slack. 

I digress. Back to today... So, I dropped it. Just tossed my end of the leash down and continued with the exercise like nothing had changed. This is the first time I've done this with her 6' lead (long lines are a different story). To my delight, Lotte's actually paying attention to me, and not leash cues, because a smooth about-turn with no verbal warning, and she stuck with me. We continued working like that for the rest of the session.

No comments:

Post a Comment