Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Third time's the charm

Lotte's been getting a dental treat every night when we go upstairs for bed. As a result, she's learned to run straight to my room as soon as I move the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs - without any detours - to get her treat.

Now, I've decided to change the game. Since I want to work on her recall, I am now asking her to hold a stay at the bottom of the stairs, and then calling her to me in my room.

The scene from tonight:

Attempt #1 - Halfway up the stairs, Lotte breaks her stay and starts following. Body block a now-confused dog back down the stairs, reset the stay, and ...

Attempt #2 - Get up to room, open door, just about ready to call Lotte, and she breaks her stay and comes barreling up the stairs before I can. Body block again, and start corralling her back down the stairs. Now, she's frustrated. She's kicking up a fuss verbally, but after all that grumbling, settles back into her stay, and ...

Attempt #3 - Third time's the charm. She holds her stay, responds to her recall, and finally gets her treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment